Call for Abstracts
- Abstract submission deadline: November 1, 2018
- Notification of abstract review: November 16, 2018
- Early bird registration deadline: April 1, 2019
Canadian Obesity Weekend is a joint Conference of the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons (CABPS) and IFSO North American Chapter. The conference will convene on May 17 - 18, 2019, at the Hilton Toronto Hotel in Toronto, Ontario. This bariatric conference will include a Symposium for Family Doctors with a strong interest in the treatment of obesity and a Workshop for Bariatric Surgical Residents. Through the use of riveting, thought-provoking topics, and dynamic and engaging international and Canadian speakers, this conference is designed to hold your attention and stimulate your mind. You can’t afford to miss it!
The goals of this joint Conference are:
- To understand the medical risks associated with obesity.
- To understand the dietary and pharmacological management of obesity.
- To understand the nursing and rehabilitation challenges in patients with morbid obesity.
- To provide an up-to-date review of current surgical treatment and their indications for morbid obesity.
- To provide information on morbid obesity in the adult and adolescent population.
We try to accommodate the majority of abstracts: however, the final decision about the acceptance of and presentation format for individual submissions will be made by the Conference Committee. Submissions are encouraged in all formats.
Oral presentation abstracts can take one of three formats:
- Reports: The first format is the traditional meeting abstract with a clear aim, brief description of methods, results and conclusions. This will be focused on a single topic and can be presented by Trainees or Principal Investigators. It is expected that the first author will present the work. These presentations will be given in concurrent sessions with a crosstheme orientation.
- Overviews: The second format is designed for Principal Investigators or Senior Trainees and is an overview of the subject of your research focus, presenting key findings in broad context. The abstract will be written for broad understanding. These oral presentations will be given in sessions with a cross-theme orientation. Each oral presentation will be 10 minutes followed by a 5 minute discussion period.
- Video: The third format is designed for the Principal Investigator or Senior Trainer to upload a video in either .m4v, .mov, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg. Your video presentation should run no longer than 5 – 8 minutes.
Abstracts not selected for oral presentations will be considered for poster presentations. If selected, we encourage presentation of work in poster format, an exhibition which will enable discussion with presenters. Poster authors will be asked to stand by their poster during scheduled poster presentation times. These presentations will also be made according to the Conference themes. Abstracts should take the form of traditional meeting abstracts with a clear aim, brief description of methods, results and conclusions.
Abstracts must be written in English. The length of the abstracts is a maximum of 250 words in the body of the abstract, excluding title and author(s) names and affiliations.
- Use 12 point Times New Roman font for the entire abstract, including title, authors, etc.
- Abstract titles must be in bold. Only capitalize the first word in the abstract title.
- Authors' names must be in bold. Authors' first and last names should be spelled out in full.
- Affiliation (where the author is from) must be in italics. When there are multiple affiliation, those affiliations are linked to the authors' names with footnotes (use superscript numbers to indicate footnotes).
- Financial support should be indicated in brackets at the end of the abstract. No references or acknowledgment sections are required.
- Abstracts MUST be submitted electronically through the CABPS website via the online submission system at www.cabps.ca. You may submit more than one abstract. Do not submit multiple versions of the same abstract or it will not be reviewed.
- Presenting authors must be listed FIRST in the list of authors.
- Abstracts must be submitted in a single WORD document file. Please fill in all the required fields. Abstracts sent by e-mail, mail or fax will not be accepted. In case of problems please contact the CABPS office at email@example.com or at the number that appears below.
Please indicate the most appropriate category for your abstract:
- Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Medicine
- Allied Health
Authors will be notified of the abstract review outcome on or before November 16, 2018. Further presentation instructions will be given to authors at that time. It is our intention to accept as many high-quality abstracts as can be accommodated by the venue and schedule.
Abstracts may contain original data or may be previously published. The responsibility for the abstract contents is solely of the author(s). The presenting author is required to ensure that all co-authors are aware of the contents of the abstract before submission. Abstracts will be considered only if consistent with the above instructions and received by the deadline.
Presenters are responsible for all expenses related to participating in the conference, including transportation, registration fee, lodging, and meals.
Prizes will be awarded for the best poster in each category: Allied Heath, Bariatric Surgery, Bariatric Medicine, Psychiatry
ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.