CABPS Membership Information
Membership in the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons
Membership is open to physicians, surgeons and allied health care professionals who express an interest in the clinical management of obesity or who have a research interest in any aspect of obesity or its related diseases.
BENEFITS OF MEMBERSHIP IN THE CABPS
- To engage bariatric physicians across Canada in a collaborative effort for the treatment of obesity
- An official voice for bariatric care in Canada
- Access to members only area of CABPS website
- Discounted Membership Rate – New this year in light of COVID!
- First access to bariatric webinars - Six (6) Annually
- Exclusive journal clubs and case conference webinars
- Special interest for Dipl. of ABOM physicians: webinars for JARRP articles. Recertify with colleagues and answer JARRP questions together!
- Annual Conference | Canadian Obesity Weekend - Special Rates for Members
- Discounted Team Rates to attend the Annual Conference
- Travel or research grants
- Literature Reviews – Two (2) issues annually
- Bariatric Bytes – Two (2) issues annually
- Education Library of all CABPS conference presentations and videos of webinars
- Canadian Standards Guidelines for Bariatric Surgery and Medicine; be part of the accreditation process as CABPS sets the standards for all bariatric sites across Canada
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for Obesity: webinars and what the new guidelines means for your practice
- Discounted Membership in IFSO to access Journals
- Ally with our Provincial Champion to increase bariatric resources within your community
TYPES OF MEMBERSHIP
Active Member (Annual membership Fee: $195)
A person who:
(a) Is a medical practitioner and holds a valid certificate in medicine or surgery with a certificate in good standing from:
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; or
- Le Collège des Médecins du Québec; or
- The American Board of Medicine or Surgery; or
- The equivalent thereof acceptable to the Board of Directors, such equivalency must include significant training in general surgery and eligibility for, or possession of, a surgical diploma from some other jurisdiction;
- and has some special interest and training in the treatment of obesity;
(b) Holds a valid license in good standing to practice medicine in Canada;
May apply for active membership in this Association. Active Members shall pay all dues and assessments.
Associate Member (Annual membership Fee: $60)
A person who:
- Is a post-graduate trainee currently enrolled in a training program related to the treatment of obesity (e.g. fellows)?
- Is a retired medical practitioner; and
- Pays such dues as may be required by the Association.
Any person who:
- Is a retired medical practitioner; and
- Has held a valid certificate in general medicine or surgery from:
(i) The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada; or
(ii) La College des Medecins du Quebec; or
(iii) The American Board of Medicine or Surgery; or
(iv) The equivalent thereof acceptable to the Board of Directors as
- Has been an Active Member for at least five (5) years; and
- Pays such dues as may be required by the Association.; or
- Any person who is a member of the medical profession of acknowledged prominence or is a person outside the medical profession who has distinguished himself and whom the corporation may wish to honour and who has been nominated by two (2) Active Members of the Corporation and who pays such dues as may be required by the Association.
Affiliate Member (Annual membership Fee: $50)
Any person belonging to the following classification may be admitted as an Affiliate Member following approval by the CABPS Board of Directors:
- Non-Medical Doctors – Master’s Degree Scientists and PhDs Scientists
- Medical Students who are enrolled in a Canadian Medical School or from US Medical Schools accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) or the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), and whose application has been signed by the Department Chair or General Surgery Program Director and supported by an accompanying letter from the Department Chair or General Surgery Program Director verifying that the applicant is a student in good standing in the medical school at the time of application.
- Surgeons and Surgical trainees’ residents abroad, who have submitted an application and whose application has been supported by two (2) letters of recommendation from Active Members of the Association and who have ben recommended by the Membership Committee
- Office/Business Managers
- Allied Health Professionals
(Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Anesthetist, Physician Assistants, Registered Nurse First Assistants, Registered Nurses, Dietitians, Kinesiologists, Psychologists, Massage Therapists, and Others)
(Medical Radiation Technologist, Certified Surgical Technologist [CST]; Certified Surgical Technologists/Certified First Assistants and Others)
IFSO Membership (optional add-on)
Why join IFSO? Click here to see the benefits.
With an IFSO membership you will be provided with a token to access the online and print copy of the journal. And for this year, 2020, IFSO is offering to its members, free access with the same token to the following journals:
- Obesity Surgery (online only)– (US$80 OR CDN$105)
- Obesity Surgery & SOARD – (US$150 OR CDN $195)
- IFSO Membership [non surgeons] – (US$20 OR CDN $26)
You can conveniently join the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons by using our secure server (Visa or Master Card required). To Join CABPS online today, click here, or download our printable Membership Application Form in PDF format by clicking here (PDF).
If you were previously a member of the Canadian Association of Bariatric Physicians and Surgeons, then you can conveniently renew your Membership by using our secure server (Visa or Master Card required). To renew your CABPS membership today, click here, or download our printable Membership Application Form in PDF format by clicking here (PDF).
Need more information?
For more information or to inform a colleague about Membership in CABPS, simply download our Membership Brochure (PDF).